The Resident Coordinator Office
The Resident Coordinator Office (RCO) supports the work of the United Nations Resident Coordinator (RC) who heads the UN multi-country office covering Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa, and Tokelau. The UN Resident Coordinator also leads a UN Country Team of 12 UN agencies to ensure the coordination, harmonisation, and simplification of their support to achieve national development goals. Under the leadership of the RC, the UN Country team consults with the governments to define and agree on the UN strategic responses to country development priorities.
The Resident Coordinator Office coordinates activities related to common programming including Agenda 2030, joint programmes and activities and development coordination work. This is done in conformity with the objectives and priorities of the Government, and the mandates and objectives of the United Nations agencies.
The RCO supports the UN Resident Coordinator in:
- Strategic Planning ;
- Economics ;
- Partnership and Development Finance ;
- Results Management and Reporting;
- Communications and Advocacy.
Currently, the RCO is leading the coordination of the following joint UN projects:
• Review of the United Nations Pacific Strategy 2018 – 2022 for Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau; • EU and UN Spotlight Initiative - €50 million programme to eliminate domestic violence in the Pacific. • Samoa Knowledge Society Initiative – India-UN Development Partnership Fund of USD 1million • Social Protection project for Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau – SDG Fund of USD 3 million • Global Pulse lab for the Pacific
• UNCT meetings, partners and stakeholder roundtables, joint meetings and other events.
Meet the Team
The RCO team consists of:
- Mr. Klem Ryan - Strategic Planning and Team Leader
- Mr. Oleksiy Ivaschenko - Economist
- Ms Elisapeta Kerslake - Partnerships and Development Finance
- Ms. Latoya Lee - Results Management and Reporting
- Ms Aterina Samasoni - Communications and Advocacy
- Ms Morita Sapolu- Executive Assistant.
- Mr. Youle Beatty : Joint Programme Support Officer (UNV)
The UN Resident Coordinator
As the UN Resident Coordinator heading a UN Multi-Country Office that serves the Cook Islands, Niue Samoa, and Tokelau, Ms. Simona Marinescu leads a UN Country Team of 12 UN agencies based in Samoa.
Ms. Marinescu has over 20 years of experience in international development coordination, economic diversification, and green growth, humanitarian and sustainable human development. She has held various positions, including those of Chief Development Impact at UNDP Headquarters in New York; first Director of the UNDP International Centre for Private Sector in Development in Istanbul,Turkey; and Senior Economist, Programme Director for Economic Reforms in Baghdad, Iraq.
She also held the position of UNDP Resident Representative to the Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa, and Tokelau (March 2018-August 2019).